Evanston Roundhouse / Evanston, WY
A project of colossal scale
The Union Pacific Roundhouse and Machine Shop was built in 1871 and was actively used by the railroad until 1998. Almost immediately city officials envisioned a new future for the historic buildings as an event center that could generate income for the town. Renovations to the first of four sections of the Roundhouse began in early 2008, including addressing some impressive fenestration needs, with rough openings more than twenty feet wide. Ultimate Double Hung Magnums were used to replicate the look of the original windows and create units that could both fill the space and support the heavy expanses of glass. A special 9” space mull was developed to satisfy historical criteria, and a custom 2” thick sash was created to carry the load of large expanses of glass.